A New Start

The sounds of bells ringing throughout town. The shimmer of green and red lights across the city. The groups of laughter and singing resonating into our ears. If this sounds like a Hallmark Christmas movie, then surely it must be December. When looking at the month of December on a calendar, it marks the beginning of many things. The start of the Holiday season, the variety of traditions each do with family and/or friends, and winter seeping into the horizon line. Throughout all of these things, the new year always seems to pop out of nowhere. And then the year starts to fade into the past making someone sentimental like me reflect on what I did this year, what I could have done, and what lessons I will take with me into the new year. The most popular question one gets this time of year is: what is your New Years resolution? And I'm going to be completely honest with you dear reader, I actually have some resolutions this year! Allow me to address the question and tell you my "maybe-not-so-traditional-resolutions". And remember that these are my thoughts so you might not agree with me and that is fine. Just a different perspective for the conversation.

We know that the word resolution means to solve a problem, the resulting state, and a firm decision to do something. To resolve something is natural. Nature makes resolutions all the time if you think about it. Seasons change, animals solve problems in their own ways, and the cycle spins and spins on. Just like nature, I've also changed the seasons in my life as well. I've walked through valleys of darkness and heights of light, passed through roads of sunny blue skies while the highway was swirling and blowing with whiteout snow, and throughout it all I have decided the "resolutions" I am wrapping up and taking with me into the distant year of 2018. 

I want to be bolder. To not be afraid to try new things, to speak up for myself and for the injustice around me, and not be afraid to let things go. 

I want to be at peace with my weakness, to be open with my vulnerabilities, and let both of those things make me stronger. 

I want to worry less and let the Divine control the things that I cannot and shouldn't try to.

I want to build relationships with people that need it, rather than be just another number to those who don't really care about the hearts that they effect. 

I want to be honest with who I am right now and be ok with the flaws that I have, but remember that it is good to change when life lessons teach new things and shape me over time. 

I want to love my body more and more and stop feeling like I need to apologize for the space that my curves take up. I am a beautiful creation and I am NOT sorry for it.

And most importantly, I want to bring no regrets into 2018. I am letting go of the negativity and bringing nothing but good with me. I'm not going to forget the important things that the struggles taught me. However, it is time to let those things pass into my history and continue on the path of my journey. Like my favorite book, Anne of Green Gables says, "tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes it in".

What can you take from this? What things can you bring with you into 2018? That is up to you my dear reader, but may I suggest that you bring whatever makes you happy into the glimmer of the New Year, and leave behind in the dust of old things that make you despair. And look at 2018 through a lens of hope and adventure, because I believe that it will be a good year for all who want it to be. Raise a glass to health, happiness, and a beautiful new start. 

"It's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it." - L.M Montgomery

Comments

Popular Posts