Overcome Fear

Around this time of year, the feeling of nostalgia seeps into my mind. I think back on my graduations, on the friends I've made, the people who influenced my life, the people that walked in and out of my life, and the things that have shaped me into the person I am today at 25 years. Often I think of who I was even just 10 years ago. That girl is so different than myself now. Afraid, no, terrified to sing in front of people, self-conscious about the fat on her body, desperate to be like the pretty girls in her grade, not sure what to do with her life. Through a lot of tears, joy, fighting, determination, and grace I've changed completely. I celebrate my body, honey it's fabulous! I don't need the approval of other people, and I know what I want to do with my life, which brings me to my biggest transformation of all. I am not afraid to sing. That was the biggest fear I have overcome. I remember being a little girl, crying, wanting so bad to sing but afraid I couldn't ever be free because my fear was too big. It was music that brought me out. It was wisdom and love of my teachers and friends who pulled me out of the depths of fear. It was the voices and harmonies in choir that shattered my world and made music resonate with my soul. It felt like home. Singing is where I felt beautiful for the first time. I'll always be grateful for how the Spirit has helped me overcome my fear and how His grace has broken those chains I felt holding me back from my dream. I don't care to be famous and I don't need to sing on the biggest stages. I just need to sing. So what can you take from this? That thing that you're the most afraid to try? Do it! Do it because you were meant to do it. Because fear can be overcome. I'm living proof.

Comments

Popular Posts