We Call It Good

Happy Easter weekend! I had something on my heart today that I wanted to share with whoever cares. This is not meant to preach at anyone, these are just my thoughts and reflections on Good Friday. You can read if you believe, you can read if you don’t believe. Whatever you want. But please above all, be respectful, because this is what I believe and this is me pouring out my heart because I want to.

I've always been a fan of irony. According to the internet, irony means "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite". In most situations, we can run into irony throughout pop culture like movies, books, and music (yes I'm looking at you Alanis Morissette) and throughout life. It happens everyday. For me I think the most ironic day is today. Good Friday. For believers, Good Friday is the day where we reflect on the death of Jesus Christ. We remember how He suffered. We remember the nails. The scars. The pain. The cross where all our sin was taken on. We remember all of these things, and we call it good. As I look outside today, it’s dark, rainy, and even the doves are cooing in what I imagine is mourning, and yet it is still good. It is completely ironic that today is considered good when so much pain and suffering happened to our Lord. Yet, through pain and suffering there is hope and love. It is as if that is another layer of irony. That with every bruise, cut, nail...there is hope...there is love for us. It is ironic that even "when times are bad, [we are asked to] consider [that] God has made the one as well as the other" (Ecclesiastes 7:14). That even when Jesus died for our sins, He wanted to. We don't deserve it. We never have. And yet, He did it because His love is that strong. "For [His] love is as strong as death, its jealousy demanding as the grave, burning like a blazing and mighty flame" (Song of Songs 8:6). And I’m aware that for many people, "...the message of the cross is foolish to those [who don't believe]..." and if that is what one chooses to believe that is fine, yet "...to us who are [believers] it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18). It is our everything, it is why we reflect today, it is what we believe we exist for, and today it's called good. Isn't it ironic?

Comments

Popular Posts